Tea Trends & Tea Gift Guide
Want something new or unique to add to your tea cupboard? Or maybe you’re looking for that perfect tea gift for your girlfriend?
I have some tea gift ideas for you that are tasty AND gorgeous.
First things first. Yesterday I went to the San Francisco International Tea Festival yesterday, and it was a blast. Chatting with people and seeing what’s new in the world of tea is a blast.
The festival is small, but it’s growing – likely in proportion to the number of people taking an interest in tea and its health benefits.
Tea is getting trendy.
This growing interest in tea and bringing it into the mainstream is one of the reasons I started Sicilian Tea Company. I want others to integrate a tea ritual into their daily lives because I believe adding tea to our lives is a simple way to take care of ourselves mentally and physically.
Over the last year, my goal has been to create an online tea experience. It’s been to encourage people to drink tea and experience it as a ritual in their daily routine.
To reach this goal, I’ve curated some of my favorite tea accessories and single-origin loose leaf teas as well as created four Signature tea blends with whole leaf teas and whole herbs and spices to satisfy cravings for a sweet healthy treat.
Here’s a smattering of what’s trending in the tea world, and give you some gift ideas for that tea lover in your life.
So what’s trending in tea?
Some of it you may expect: loose leaf teas are becoming more popular because people are learning about their increased health benefits and that their flavors are more complex. Although there is still tea dust (aka fannings) in tea bags from the big companies.
Fresh green teas are still popular, and people’s interest in them are growing. There’s more of a variety of quality green tea on the market it seems.
What struck me were the availability of more robust blends; there are more varieties of teas that can appeal to coffee lovers (see more below). My favorites are the earthy pu’ehr and black teas blended with hardy spices.
There are still new teas coming out that have flavorings rather than whole spices, but I think that’ll phase out; people are becoming more aware of what they’re putting in their bodies even and simple things they can do to make their diet healthier.
What was missing from the festival? I didn’t see any white tea served at the festival; I’d love it if this more delicate tea gained in popularity. I’d also have like to see more easy to use tea infusers, but I guess no one can improve on #7 below.
With Small Business Saturday coming up on November 26, I’ll give you a preview of the on trend teas and tea accessories at Sicilian Tea Co.
Click here to sign up for a reminder to shop Small Business Saturday.
Here are 8 tea gift ideas for that tea newbie or connoisseur in your life.
1. Think she’ll like some pretty teacups? There’s a variety of styles and colors of glass teacups and tea mugs at the shop. This Asian Style Teacup is one of my recent faves, and it comes with a fine stainless steel tea infuser.
2. Stylish teapots up her alley? Find some fun and flashy teapots at the shop like this sassy red teapot. I also love the clear glass teapots that let you watch your tea brew.
3. For the adventurous tea lover (or tea newbie) try the 14 Day Tea Tour. You’ll get 14 carefully curated loose leaf teas from around the globe ranging from robust black teas to delicate herbal tisanes. To top it all off, you’ll get an eGuide to take you on a self-guided tour through these delish teas.
What people are saying about the Tea Tour:
“I’m loving my 14 day tea tour! I’ve been an occasional tea drinker in the past – somewhat illiterate in the different varieties of tea. This sample pack has allowed me to discover new tea types, like ‘honey bush tea’ and ‘red roobios’ and has really expanded my palate!” ~ Kathy D.
Click here to get it now.
4. Here’s a sweet tea gift that will satisfy her tastebuds. A set of four minis with hand blended whole teas and spices. There’s no artificial anything in these blends, and all ingredients are organically grown.
What people are saying about Francesca – one of the blends in this set:
“Chamomile has been a staple in my tea “wardrobe” since I was a kid. My grandma used it for everything and she used full blossoms of chamomile, full of fragrance and flavor. I’ve been looking for something that compares even a little bit and I was disappointed with the faintly-flavored teas I could buy even at the fanciest of stores. Then I tried Francesca and I fell in love. Not only it had the same full-bodied sweet flavor I had remembered–it also had the soothing flavor of lavender and spices to enhance the flavor. Try it out! You won’t regret it!” ~ Oana Y.
5. Robust teas more her vibe? Something that can compete with her coffee cravings? This Kanoka Orthodox is a rich black tea. I can’t say enough about how rich and flavorful this tea is even through 4-5 steepings.
Another strong tea – like really strong – is the Lapsang Souchong. It’s a smoky black tea that you either love or hate. This is something for the adventurous tea lover.
Want something robust that’s a sweet treat? Catarina is a blend of black teas with cardamom and orange peel that will delight her senses.
6. Something light more what you had in mind? This savory Genmaicha is delish. It’s made from bright green sencha tea leaves and blended with Japanese mocha rice.
7. Does your friend go through tea infusers fast? Here’s one that’ll last forever, and it keeps most fine herbs and spices from clouding her tea cup. It’ll fit into any standard mug (so if she has a favorite tea mug, she can keep on using it). It’s super easy to clean too.
8. Can’t decide what to get? You can always surprise her with a gift certificate, so she can get whatever her heart desires.
Now that you’re armed with all this trendy tea knowledge, go make her day!